The Action Environmental Group, parent company of Action Carting in New York City and Interstate Waste Services in Northern New Jersey/Southern New York State, is one of the most progressive and innovative providers of non-hazardous waste management services, serving a diverse range of industrial and commercial customers.
Our Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanics play a key role in keeping our company running. Without skilled Mechanics and Technicians who know how to diagnose and repair issues safely and quickly, providing an excellent work place for our employees and exceptional service to our customers would be next to impossible.
Our Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanics perform inspection, diagnosis, preventative maintenance, and repair of electrical, hydraulic, suspension, brake and air systems on vehicles and equipment, including diesel heavy trucks and engines. Utilizing diagnostic software, the Mechanic is responsible for interpreting failure modes and initiate or assign necessary repairs. At times, the Mechanic may be on call, and required to assist with emergency breakdowns.
• Maintains advanced knowledge to diagnose and repair mechanical problems on heavy equipment.
• Performs repairs and assigned preventative maintenance services.
• Estimates time and material cost on vehicle repairs and requisition of new parts.
• Conduct safety checks on vehicles.
• Completes required paperwork utilizing fleet maintenance software program associated with repairing vehicles, documenting part usage, and accounting for repair time.
• Reviews, completes, or assigns repairs identified on Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports.
• Maintain a clean, safe work area in compliance with Company safety protocols and OSHA standards.
• Assists Sr. Technicians in the completion of project work.
• Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and legally eligible to work in the United States.
• A valid driver’s license is required. CDL preferred.
• Experience working on heavy duty diesel equipment OR training from a recognized trade school is required.
• Must be able to speak and read English well enough to converse with colleagues, drivers and dispatch, and be able to make legible entries on reports and records.
• The Diesel Mechanic position may be required to lift up to 50 pounds. Frequent squatting and standing is required. Candidates must be able to meet the physical and safety requirements of the position.
• Must be able to provide own tools
Entry-level candidates will be considered for this position and on-the-job training provided. Candidates with the following experience may be considered for a Mechanic B or A level position which has a higher level of responsibility as well a compensation:
• 2+ years experience working as a heavy duty Diesel Mechanic
• Experience with troubleshooting/repairing DPF systems diagnostic software such as Premium Tech Tool (Mack), Allison transmission, Cummins, CAT, Peterbilt, and Paccar.
• Yellow Iron experience and/or experience as a Mechanic or Technician for a refuge company is a plus.
• Working knowledge of applicable DOT and OSHA standards and regulations.
We believe in providing the training and development you need to grow your career with the Action Environmental Group. Many of our Supervisors, Dispatchers, Managers, and other leadership staff, started their careers as Helpers or Drivers. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Salary and benefits
The Action Environmental Group is committed to providing a world class work place to all employees. Each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including, hourly pay based on experience and paid overtime, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and more. Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. All Technicians a members of a Union and benefits will be provided as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement. For more information about working at the Action Environmental Group, check out our career site.