Georgia Public Broadcasting is looking for an experienced journalist to take over hosting On Second Thought, our daily talk show created with the mission of telling the stories of the South. We don’t interview pundits. Instead, we have thoughtful conversations with people from diverse perspectives. Listeners must feel smarter and inspired by what they hear. The host works with a team of producers and audio engineers to create compelling radio, engaging social media, and “can’t miss” community outreach events for residents in Georgia and beyond. We take this show on the road regularly. The position is based in Atlanta, a top-10 radio market with deep Civil Rights history, a thriving art and culture scene, six professional sports teams and mountains and beaches just a few hours away.
• An authoritative and engaging on-air style that draws listeners into the conversation and makes them happy they spent their time with On Second Thought.
• Must have a minimum of three years of experience hosting a news or public affair program, preferably in public radio.
• Ability to absorb information quickly and translate producer research and notes into cogent conversations for air.
• Excellent organizational and leadership skills. • Must be familiar with production and digital editing.
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Broadcast Communications, or related field required;
Job Responsibilities Include:
• Hosts one-hour talk show each weekday morning and records interviews throughout the day, as needed.
• Must be comfortable on air and at public events.
• Pitches segments ideas and engages collaboratively with the team of producers to vet ideas, sources, and approaches to coverage.
• Writes interview questions and scripts; may edit producers’ questions and scripts.
• Maintains editorial integrity by ensuring quality and accuracy through research, editing and adherence to journalistic code of ethics.
• Maintain active social media presence.
• May occasionally report stories for GPB News Presents series and documentaries.
• Participates in assigned fund-raising and outreach activities, on air and off.
• Other duties as assigned.
We Offer: Paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, retirement plans; Pre-tax benefits for health, dental, vision, life, specified illness and accidental insurance; Health and child care spending accounts; Disability insurance; and opportunities for training and professional development.
To Apply: Upload resume, references and applicant form on the GPBs Job Center located at www.gpb.org/jobs. ONLY Applications submitted through the GPB Job Center WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled
Georgia Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.