Georgia Public Broadcasting is seeking a Director of Broadcast Engineering. The ideal candidate is a hands-on manager responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of the GPB Radio/TV broadcast facilities and statewide network. The Director is directly involved with the purchase, installation and maintenance of equipment and systems for our Radio/TV broadcast network. Other duties include: Working side by side with the broadcast engineering team; Providing innovative problem-solving skills to assure the continued delivery of high quality radio/television production, broadcast and related services to GPB’s statewide network; Keeping up to date with industry changes and technology by building and maintaining a network of contacts and investigating new systems and techniques; and Provides first call response for broadcast and on-air emergencies, ensuring all incidents and service requests are properly resolved, documented and classified. The DBE reports to the CTO and will assist with the management of equipment planning, staff, purchasing, and system integration. This position works closely with the GPB field engineering and IT teams as well as production.
• Coordinates and manage technical operations of production, broadcast and distribution equipment and facilities including, but not limited to, studios, edit suites, sound suites, Production LAN, long term storage and asset management, closed captioning and field equipment.
• Works to identify, research, resolve and consult about technical problems; creates and maintains records of compliance with state and federal law, guidelines and regulatory agencies including FCC and CPB, to ensure technical standards and compliance and develops and monitors technical quality control procedures and standards.
• Works closely and effectively with engineers at the field sites to maintain transmission and distribution facilities for the GPB network and assists with planning and implementation of computer hardware and software in conjunction with IT.
• Works with CTO to monitor, plan, design, purchase, maintain and upgrade technical facilities.
• Provides feedback, input and recommendations for departmental budgets, grant applications, and capital expenditure to help facilitate budget planning.
• Covers hands-on engineering on call shifts when necessary and leads the planning, implementation and use of new production and delivery technologies and develop continuing education plans for the job skill developments of technical staff.
• Assists as needed in preparing purchase requests, writing bid specifications, evaluating bid responses and selecting vendors.
• Manages and supervises GPB engineering staff and creates work plans and goals that align with GPB’s strategic plan and drives the creation of an integrated strategic partnerships with GPB Senior Leadership.
• 10 years or more of experience. College Degree in a related field or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
• Demonstrated results in a broadcast engineering leadership role and proven ability to maintain a detailed working knowledge of IT, broadcast systems, and other technologies of a radio/television broadcast facility.
• Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to provide on call 24/7 support, to include weekends and holidays.
• FCC general class license or SBE, CBTE certifications a plus.
• Experience with IP based networking background and technologies a plus.
• Proficient with MS Office, AutoCAD or WireCAD and familiarity with FCC regulations related to EAS, CALM Act and closed captioning a plus.
We Offer: Paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, retirement plans; Pre-tax benefits for health, dental, vision, life, specified illness and accidental insurance; Health and child care spending accounts; Disability insurance; and opportunities for training and professional development.
To Apply: Upload resume, references, and applicant form on the GPB Job Center located at www.gpb.org/jobs. ONLY Applications submitted through the GPB Job Center WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled. Application review begins August 3, 2018
Georgia Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.